Monday, March 26, 2012

Woollies!

 +

=





Our collection of woollen singlets were looking a little worse for wear (two boys, and a washing machine that is less than gentle, will do that!) so I had a go at dyeing them over the weekend.
I remember now why it is that I don't dye things very often - you never can really predict what colour things will end up! The green is greener than it looks in these photos, but is still far more 'khaki' than 'parakeet' and the blue has a definite hint of purple..
I'm not complaining though. Not at all. They look a lot better than the well-used cream colour that they were, and soon they will be layered on delicious newborn skin where nothing can look bad!

Do you dye things often? Is there a trick I don't know about, to getting the colour even and more predictable? Or is that all part of the beauty of it?

7 comments:

  1. I wonder if the dylon dyes are for plant fibres like cotton? Protein fibres (wool) need a different type of dye usually.
    But I stand to be corrected - maybe the dylon dye is fine on protein fibres?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually... I lie. I looked on the website and it said the hand dye packets can be used with wool and silk. I'd still go with something designed specifically for protein fibres if you wanted a fuller colour though (says she with no experience with it whatsoever!) - or you can use kool aid if you get hold of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki is right, woolen things needs dye that is specific for protein fibers to ensure that it doesn't fade, wash out, and is colorfast in the sun.

    However, I've never used the dylon dyes. So they might work for woolen things! I'd have to read the package.

    That said, I've done tons of wool, silk, and alpaca dyeing. Soaking the garments in water for half an hour beforehand (with a teeny tiny drip of dish soap) is a great way to ensure that the dye soaks up evenly.

    Now I want to bring out my dyes and play a bit...

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh lovely! I have done some dying before.. but no pearls of wisdom sorry! I approach such tasks with reckless abandon, at all times!
    I get inspired by all those cute colours though. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they look great :)
    I'm tempted to do some myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooo that is such a good idea!! Love your colours
    Thankyou for your lovely comments re Our wedding, oo thanks i'll edit and post up our wedding cake flavours.
    here they are delivered just for you tho....
    Sticky Date,Hummingbird (walnuts,banana&pineapple)& Lemon&Gin
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the colours almost always come out less saturated than expected if you use the amount they say on the packet. I used to use double amounts of dye (or, you know, half the weight of clothing) when dying clothes. I haven't done it for awhile, though. Those baby clothes look great, I think I should look in to doing some dying of overused kids clothes myself.

    ReplyDelete